Fuel rebates

Date: 25 June 2014

Every now and then this crosses the radar and it doesn't hurt to be reminded about it.

As we all know, 4 wheelers drink fuel and that can be a considerable cost.  There are rebates available under special circumstances - let's see if you qualify.

So, what is it?

An excise duty tax applies to all petrol sold in New Zealand. Diesel does not attract an excise duty tax. Instead, the owners of diesel operated vehicles pay what is known as a Road User Charge (RUC). Both the taxes imposed are for the building and maintenance of the country's roading infrastructure.

If vehicles using petrol or diesel are used off road then the excise duty and RUC respectively can be refunded.


The refund process

Refund Process Rebates have to be claimed quarterly by filing the claim form (MR70), available from the New Zealand Transport Authority website www.nzta.govt.nz, which also provides a fact sheet of the refund process.

Information required for completing the form will consist of details such as fuel usage, proof of purchase, opening and closing stock. If you miss the quarterly claim, the rebate can still be claimed (up to two years in arrears) but you will lose 10 per cent of the refund.


So in short you need to prove what has been used off road and submit the claim.

If you need any help please contact Geoff at TvA on geoff@tva.co.nzor 578 3386 - he will point you in the right direction.

Post Tags


« Prev | View all | Next »